Seeking Innovative Ideas to Improve Data Collection in the Global Dairy Sector for Human Health and Well-Being
Deadline July 11th
Seeking ideas to improve data collection in the global dairy sector to advance human health and well-being
Dairy, especially milk, can play an important role in providing essential nutrients for maternal and child heath, however, research suggests milk and other animal-source foods provide less than 5% of total energy intake in many countries of Sub-Saharan Africa, 5% to 10% in most other African countries and southern Asia. Most dairy products in these regions are produced by small-scale, family-owned farms (also called smallholder farmers). While the milk from these farms provides an important source of essential nutrients, only limited and fragmented data is available to the milk producers, researchers and policymakers about the inputs farmers use, the breed and health of the animals, the quantity and quality of the milk produced, and the details, methods, and conditions under which the milk is consumed, transported, and sold.
Such a lack of information from dairy producers impedes researchers from collecting information on the utilization and effectiveness of diary interventions, as well as the ability to pinpoint adverse events. Additionally, without a trend-line that can be used to measure potential interventions, researchers and policymakers struggle to identify the key producers and market leaders in specific regions that could serve as models and influencers for improved dairy policy outcomes.
To that end, we are seeking innovative ideas to significantly improve the measurement, aggregation, and sharing of data associated with smallholder farmer dairy production in developing countries.
CHALLENGE CLOSE DATE: July 11, 2013
We are seeking ideas that will appropriately and successfully combine and integrate technology-based approaches and innovations with social and cultural factors, rather than focusing on any one approach in isolation. Additionally, we seek ideas that provide a clear model of sustainability - meaning an identified and measurable pathway to scale and adoption of the idea proposed - and platform or program models that are open and shared, can piggyback or integrate with existing technology or program initiatives, and that can accommodate additional functionality as needs evolve. Finally, solvers must be cognizant when proposing a solution of the resource constraints and technology limitations operating at the household or smallholder farmer level in the relevant geographies.
Reward: Up to $7,500 for novel, feasible, and cost-effective ideas and approaches that significantly improve the collection, reporting, aggregation, and sharing of data associated with smallholder dairy production and consumption in the developing world. There may be opportunities for the winning solver to work with the partners to further develop the selected idea.
Solvers: We are seeking student solvers at all academic levels (ranging from the middle school to postdoctoral level) in order to access nontraditional creative minds and passionate problem-solvers. We encourage students to form teams or other models of collaboration to engage as many different perspectives as possible.
The Successful Idea Will:
The award determination will be made by an independent panel convened for this purpose by Scientists Without Borders. The members of the judging panel will be announced prior to the close of the submission period. Winners will be announced six weeks following the close of the submission period.
By responding to this ideation Challenge you agree:
About the Challenge
About the Partners
1 Daphna K. Dror and Lindsay H. Allen. The importance of milk and other animal-source foods for children in low-income countries. Food and Nutrition Bulletin, vol. 32, no. 3, 2011.